Komotini – Refugee and Migration Law
Continuing its tradition, ELSA Komotini is proud to present its 9th edition of the Winter ELSA Law School on Refugee and Migration Law. ELSA Komotini's WELS is the second oldest in the history of ELSA. This year the event will take place from February 26 - March 04, 2024.
Komotini is a student-city with about 10 university faculties and approximately 10.000 students, making it one of the most academically attractive destinations in the northern part of Greece.
This year ELSA Komotini and its Academic Partner plan to offer you a rich academic programme combining both a deep legal insight on Refugee & Migration Law and experiential/practical experience. With speakers from different backgrounds, such as distinguished professors, lawyers and other experts, we hope to enrich your legal knowledge and encourage you to participate in fruitful conversations.
We look forward to welcoming you and giving you the chance to meet our unique and diverse city, which combines different cultures and religions. We are ready to make sure that you will have an enjoyable stay and show you what “Greek hospitality” stands for.
ELSA member from a non-favoured country - 375€
Member of a Partner Organisation - 380€
ELSA Alumni - 380 €
Non ELSA member - 390€
Two- way Airport transfer - 30€
Extra Night - 45€
Refugee & Migration Law touches a topical and sensitive issue for the world and for our region as well. Thus, our Academic Programme will not only examine the legal aspect of forced displacement and migration but also, its social impact and human rights extent. Starting from introductory courses, the participants will slowly dive into more specific lectures, getting to know the European framework for refugees and the asylum application process but also, get to visit a Refugee Reception and Identification Centre.
A draft Academic Programme of our WELS is the following:
- None (arrivals)
- Introduction to the field of Refugee & Migration Law and Basic International Principles
- International legal status of Refugees
- International legal status of Migrants
- Asylum framework and Repatriation process, durable and other solutions for refugees
- Outsourcing of asylum processing, migration control in the EU & human rights implications
- European Regulations on Migrants and Refugees
- Legal process for Asylum and Subsidiary Protection
- Institutional Visit at Refugee Reception and Identification Centre (R.I.C) at Fylakio, Evros
- Administrative and penal treatment of irregular entry and smuggling and the use of irregular means to govern migration
- Protection of refugees – survivors of gender-based violence in refugee sites
- Empowerment and Legal Support of female refugees
- Integration policies and practices for refugee children and unaccompanied minors
- Drug addict refugees
- EU Immigrants and relevant national policies in comparison to economic rights
- Refugee crisis and the associated issues that influence the future of Europe and our World(State, society and migrants: Aspects of the Greek, Mediterranean and European experience)
- Debate with the DUTh MUN Society on Refugee and Migration Law under the auspices of Krateros Ioannou Research Institute for International Law and International Relations
- None (departures)