International Investment Law is currently one of the most popular fields of international law, given the rapid increase of international investment disputes over the past few year, as well as the theoretical and practical problems arising from possible “overlaps” with other fields of international and EU law. Addressing a variety of subjects related to international investment arbitration, ranging from investors' Standards of Treatment and Host States' Defences to the implications of umbrella and denial of benefit clauses, the ELSA Athens Summer ELSA Law School gives its participants the ticket to explore an intriguing field of law, along with their own interests.
An academic faculty, consisting of renowned professors, experts, and practitioners from all around the world will share their views and ideas, offer insights and be our guides in this academically fulfilling journey.
Lectures and workshops aside, participants will also have the chance to make the most of their time in Athens; visits to world-famous attractions, such as the Acropolis Rock and Museum, sea swimming and tasting Greek food and nightlife are only examples of what this summer school’s social programme has to offer. So here's to seven unforgettable days in Athens, full of fun, full of people, full of ideas and full of experiences.
ELSA Member from a favoured country - 315€
Alumni/Member of a partner organisation - 350€
Non ELSA Member - 385€
ELSA Athens Summer Law School will consist of interactive lectures, which will provide participants with all the essential tools to grasp the main aspects of International Investment law, while also addressing some of the currently “hottest topics” of the field.
- Fair and Equitable Treatment & Full Protection and Security in International Investment Law – Prof. Fulvio Maria Palombino (Professor of International Law University of Napoli Federico II)
- The Interpretation of International Investment Treaties – Prof. Tarcisio Gazzini (Professor of International Law, School of Law, University of East Anglia)
- International Investment Law and Analogies with Other Regimes of International Law – Dr. Martins Paparinskis (Reader in Public International Law, University College London)
- International Investment Law and Human Rights – Dr. Julian Scheu (Junior Professor of International Investment Law, Public International Law, and Public Law, University of Cologne)
- Judicial Acts of States and International Investment Law – Dr. Berk Demirkol (Lecturer, University of Galatasaray)
- The Backlash Against and Options for Reform of Investor-State Arbitration – Dr. Michele Potestà (Senior Associate, Lévy Kaufmann-Kohler, Geneva)
- Host States’ Defences in International Investment Law – Dr. Federica Paddeu (John Tiley Fellow in Law at Queens’ College; Fellow, Lauterpacht Centre for International Law)
- Non-Discrimination in International Investment Law – Dr. Michail Risvas (Adjunct Professor, IE Law School)
- International Investment Law & Sovereign Debt – Mr. Vasilis Paliouras (Ph.D. Researcher, Queen Mary University, London)
- The Right to Regulate in International Investment Law – Mr. Charalampos Giannakopoulos (Ph.D. Candidate in International Law, Graduate Institute, Geneva)
- Jurisdiction Ratione Personae: Defining Foreign “Investors” – Mr. Panagiotis Kyriakou (Ph.D. candidate, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva)
- Jurisdiction Ratione Materiae: Defining Foreign “Investments – Ms. Eirini Kikarea (Ph.D. Candidate, Faculty of Law, University of Cambridge)
Other topics that will be addressed include ‘Investment Arbitrators as Lawmakers’, ‘Treaty Shopping in International Investment Law’ and others (TBC). The academic program will also include tutorial workshops that are yet to be confirmed.
During the next months, we will be posting more details about this year’s academic program and faculty at https://www.facebook.com/ELSAAthensSummerSchoolInternationalInvestmentLaw/