Athens – International Investment Law
International Investment Law is one of the fastest developing areas of international law, spurred on by a dramatic increase in the number of Bilateral Investment Treaties between States and in other investment agreements and a sharp rise in international investment disputes. Addressing a variety of subjects related to international investment arbitration, ranging from investors' Standards of Treatment and Host States' Defences to the implications of umbrella and denial of benefit clauses, the ELSA Athens Summer ELSA Law School gives its participants the ticket to explore an intriguing field of law, along with their own interests.
An academic faculty, consisting of renowned professors, experts and practitioners from all around the world will share their views and ideas, offer insights and be our guides in this academically fulfilling journey.
Lectures and workshops aside, participants will also have the chance to make the most of their time in Athens; visits to world-famous attractions, such as the Acropolis Rock and Museum, sea swimming and tasting Greek food and nightlife are only examples of what this summer school’s social programme has to offer. So here's to seven unforgettable days in Athens, full of fun, full of people, full of ideas and full of experiences.
Maximum participation feesNon-favoured: €350
Non-ELSA members: €365
No accommodation: €180
Maximum extra feesGala ball: €40
AccommodationAirotel Alexandros , Athens
Number of participants60
Date of arrival19/08/2017
Date of departure26/08/2017
Academic PartnerAthens Public International Law Center (PIL Athens )
- Sources of International Investment Law and Consent to International Investment Arbitration – Dr Anastasios Gourgourinis (Lecturer in International Law, Faculty of Law of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens; Athens Public International Law Center (Athens PIL), Athens, Greece)
- Jurisdiction Ratione Materiae : Defining Foreign “Investors” – Dr Michail Dekastros (Associate, Three Crowns LLP, Paris, France)
- Jurisdiction Ratione Personae: Defining Foreign “Investments” – Dr Michail Risvas (Associate, Three Crowns LLP, Paris, France)
- Intellectual Property Rights as “Investments” – Mr Panagiotis Kyriakou (PhD candidate, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland)
- Arbitral Awards as “Investments” – Professor Loukas Mistelis (Clive M Schmitthoff Professor of Transnational Commercial Law and Arbitration, School of Law of Queen Mary University of London, London, UK)
- International Investment Arbitration under the 2012 PCA Arbitration Rules – Mr Epaminontas E. Triantafilou (Partner, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP, London, UK)
- Denial of Benefits Clauses in International Investment Treaties – Dr Sven Lange (Associate, Allen & Overy LLP, Frankfurt am Main, Germany)
- Non-Discrimination & Expropriation in International Investment Law – Mr Panagiotis Chalkias (Associate, Hanotiau & van den Berg, Brussels, Belgium)
- Fair and Equitable Treatment and Full Protection and Security in International Investment Law – Dr Roland Kläger (Partner, Haver & Mailänder Rechtsanwälte (Stuttgart, Germany)
- Umbrella Clauses, Treaty Claims and Contract Claims – Dr Michael Feit (Managing Associate, Walder Wyss Ltd., Zurich, Switzerland)
- Post-award Remedies & Enforcement of Investment Arbitral Awards – Dr Vasiliki Marazopoulou (Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg, Germany)
- Regulatory Powers of Host States in International Investment Law – Mr Josef Ostransky (Lecturer (Maître-assistant) at the Geneva LL.M. in International Dispute Settlement (MIDS); Researcher, Geneva Center for International Dispute Settlement, Geneva, Switzerland)
- Proportionality in International Investment Law – Dr Gebhard Bücheler (Associate, Wach + Meckes LLP, Munich, Germany)
- Law of Treaties and International Investment Law – Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice (Professor of Public International Law, School of Law of Queen Mary University of London, London, UK)
- Law of State Responsibility and International Investment Law – Mr Orfeas Chasapis-Tassinis (Research Assistant, Lauterpacht Centre of International Law at the Faculty of Law of Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK; Junior Researcher, Athens Public International Law Research Center, Athens, Greece)
- Protection of Intellectual Property under International Investment Law – Dr Simon Klopschinski (Associate, Rospatt Osten Pross Intellectual Property Rechtsanwälte PartG mbB, Düsseldorf, Germany)
- Public Health in International Investment Law & Arbitration – Dr Michele Potestà (Senior Associate, LKK Lévy Kaufmann-Kohler, Geneva, Switzerland)
- International Investment Law and Human Rights – Professor Markos Karavias (Assistant Professor in International Law, Faculty of Law of the University of Amsterdam & Amsterdam Center for International Law, Amsterdam, Netherlands; Research Fellow, Athens Public International Law Research Center, Athens, Greece)
- Admiralty Disputes and International Investment Law – Dr Anastasios Gourgourinis (Lecturer in International Law, Faculty of Law of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens; Athens Public International Law Research Center, Athens, Greece)
Other subjects that will be addressed include ‘International Investment Arbitration under the ICSID Convention’, ‘WTO law and International Investment Law’, and others (TBC). The academic programme will also include tutorial workshops.